August 26, 2012

Weekend Eats - July 28


Being in a new city, with no friends, and a job that doesn't require working on the weekends, I was a little worried I would begin dreading Saturday. To combat that, I have decided to eat at a different place every weekend. This way I can have something to do and see the city.

This weekend I flew to New York City for my cousin's wedding. Talk about amazing food all weekend! My Aunt Linda is an amazing cook, and loves to feed me. Yay! When I arrived at 6 am, she fed me fresh spring rolls, an omelet, cherries, and yogurt. She fed me again at 9 am when my mom arrived. And so it went for the rest of the weekend. Happy day. I love Chinese food. I should learn to make it.

No pictures of food, but aren't they cute? Jackie was the best "man."

The highlight was the wedding dinner. Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures of the food. I was too busy eating and dancing. But, here's the menu. It was a 12 course dinner. Plus wedding cake.

1. Assorted Cold Dish Platter - mostly cold cuts, including pig feet
2. Mayonnaise Shrimp & Walnuts
3. Shark Fin Soup with Crab Meat
4. Abalone & Mushroom with Dried Scallop Sauce
5. Steak with Black Pepper Sauce
6. Fried Lobster with Scallions - my first time eating lobster!
7. Crispy Garlic Chicken
8. Salt & Pepper Sea Bass
9. Raisin Bacon Fried Rice
10. Vegetarian Fried Egg Noodles
11. Sweet Red Bean Soup
12. Fruit Platter
13. Wedding Cake - Rich Coconut Cake with Mango Filling and Coconut Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting

I even got to help put flowers on the cake! And what kind of blog post doesn't have a wedding cake picture?


I went digging through my pictures for the finished product and, of course, didn't find one. Maybe Mom took a picture? We can hope. I added live purple orchids around the cake. The cake topper was Schroeder and Lucy from Peanuts (my cousin Daniel is a fabulous pianist).

The next day, we went to a restaurant for another 10 or so dishes including lobster, fish, chicken soup, lamb, and more. Yum. I really need to learn to take pictures of the food. We also stopped by a Chinese bakery and I brought a bunch of stuff home and froze it. I love Chinese food.

No comments:

Post a Comment